So if you’ve been following my blog you know that I have recently relocated to Minnesota from the Washington D.C. area. Naturally, that means I’ve left behind so many friends and family. My friends and family have supported me through so many ups and downs. The graduations, the new jobs, my marriage and now, my recent move! I would’ve been lost without them. Because they are so great to me I will do whatever I need to in order to stay in touch. But let’s be honest, even if you live a mile away it’s sometimes hard to keep in touch. I’m sure there are other people out there who has a best friend, SO or parent that lives far away, who they miss all the time. I’m proof that just because you live thousands of miles apart does not mean you have to give up on your friendships. Here are five of my go-to’s for keeping in touch.
- When you think of them, call them. Or message them, or email or face-time etc. I’m guilty of “Oh! I have to hit up [insert name here]. I’ll text them when I’m done. That time never comes! A text takes seconds to generate. Pick up that phone and say hello!
- Snap Chat! This app is so genius. Not the one for long conversations? You literally only have a max of 10 secs! Send a funny pic with “thinking of you” typed in and send! Got more to say? Keep sending! I literally had a 15 min video snap convo with a friend. Whatever works!
- Post on their wall! Of course FB is by far one of the most influential ways to keep in touch with family and friends. Photo albums, quick status updates and reposts are awesome ways to keep track of what a friend is doing. If you’ve got some time to kill, scroll through your feeds and like some pics of a friend you haven’t talked to in awhile.
- WhatsApp!? Got international friends or family? This is a great inexpensive way to keep up with them. It’s only 99 cents (I believe) to sign up and you can be talking to someone in Afghanistan!
- Last but not least, my new favorite…Marco Polo! I have literally asked all of my close friends to download this. It’s absolutely amazing. Do you have those friends where your schedule never seems to sync up for time to talk? You can video record a message for someone to watch later or to live stream you. The best part of it for me is that you get to see their face whenever they are on! What gets better than that?!
These are just a few things that have worked for me and I get to keep up with family and friends every day. Find what works best for you and friends. You might use all or just one. Share with me some ways you like to keep in touch! Thanks for stopping by…